07 March 2011

Discoverer


Lauenburg, Germany.
March 2011.
Click here for more pictures taken in 
Lauenburg almost exactly a year ago.




I stayed over at my mum's house in Lüneburg for the weekend; I needed to get out of the city for a while. 

As I wake up on Sunday, the sun is up and shining bright. The air smells fresh. I decide to skip breakfast. I think about which of the BMWs I should get the keys for. The Z4 convertible is just perfect for a day like this.

I leave the house and get in the car. Put in the new album by R.E.M., turn up the sound, let the top down. Back out of the carport, refill at the next petrol station and get a bottle of coke. Put in first gear, then second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth. The perfect two-lane blacktop of Northern Germany. It's early, there's not many cars on the road. I'm headed to Lauenburg, a picture-perfect town on the banks of the River Elbe with many late medieval houses.

After taking some pictures, I head back. Once again, the landscape is rushing past my car, or it's the other way round - it's hard to tell. I shift down and shift back up while leaving the foot on the clutch to hear the sound of 190 horsepowers roaring through the silence. Two hours later I'm back in Lüneburg.

I've already handed in the most important essay of the past semester, but there's three more that I need to finish before the end of the semester break. I wanted to visit my friend Frederic for a couple days but I had to cancel the trip. I'm running out of time with my essays and he needs to study for exams, so we'll meet at the end of the month. I don't allow myself much time off, but those two hours I had to concentrate on driving, I felt relaxed. 



After due consideration, I decided to sell my Canon Speedlite. I haven't used it much in the twelve months since I bought it. In addition, I prefer natural light.


Check out this awesome feature on the National Geographic website. I enjoyed these photographs of animals. There's a series of stunning pictures of floods, too. Last but not least, I liked some of the pictures in this photographer's portfolio and the posters of a guy whose artwork a good friend of mine recommended to me.


Title taken from the song by R.E.M. off their new album, "Collapse Into Now".



Have an awesome week!

- Dom

8 comments:

moi said...

it sure is a great picture, such a shame it's not my pic though.. but it is till awesome :)

your sunday sounds a bit like a music video. it's cool.

Dom said...

Thanks. Hahah, I'm trying my best. I won't get to live it up before the summer though... but this summer is going to be awesome... going to visit England first, then go on a road trip around Belgium and France with some friends, followed by driving up north to Denmark and Sweden, and last but not least a week in Poland. I don't even want to think about how much money I'm going to spend, but it'll be worth it! :-)

T. Becque said...

Ah, that sounds great and just what I need with my work schedule right now! Great character in your photo with a great story to go with it. I've settled my travel plans, I'm going to France then Italy. I'm sorry to be missing your England as your ideas sounded so wonderful and I thank you for them again. I'll actually keep them in mind for future travels.

Dom said...

Thanks.
Sounds good, despite you not visiting England... Maybe you'll be able to recommend some places in France to me then! :-)

Brooke said...

i loved reading this!! so much! i'm always up for good story telling :)

do you think when you visit france you'll stop by paris's catacombs for yourself?

Dom said...

Awww thank you Brooke!

No, I do not. Actually my friends and I agreed on the fact that we're not going to visit Paris at all and keep driving along the coast instead. In summer, Paris isn't too authentic because most French go on holiday somewhere else, so it's full of tourists. Tens of thousands of them! We don't like that... ;-)

Brooke said...

haha, what if i was a tourist? running around trying to find people that speak english...

Dom said...

Don't worry about that, there'll still be enough Frenchmen who can't resist helping a cute American girl find her way through the streets of Paris! :-)