13 December 2011

I Shall Not Walk Alone


Battered and torn
Still I can see the light
Tattered and worn
But I must kneel to fight

Hope is alive
While we're apart
Only tears
Speak from my heart

Break the chains
That hold us down
And we shall be
Forever bound

When I'm tired and weary
And a long way from home
I reach for Mother Mary
And I shall not walk alone





New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
Medium format. Cross-processed.
August 2007.




On my last day off, I watched two movies that take place in Louisiana and the New Orleans - area, Sinners & Saints and The Yellow Handkerchief. The first one is an old-fashioned cop film, the second an independent drama movie. Anyway, the movies brought back to my mind memories of my trip from Boston to New Orleans in 2007. I looked through my archives of medium format photographs and found the ones above. Seven months ago, I had already uploaded two pictures taken in the Lower Ninth Ward. Nowhere in New Orleans was the devastation after Hurricane Katrina greater than in this part of the city. 


There are some cities in the United States that I've been to several times, such as New York City and Phoenix, but it is New Orleans that has fascinated me more than any other American city. The French Quarter is sexy and sultry, there's dozens of bars and restaurants and lots of music. 


I've been working a lot since my last blog post, and there's more coming up in the next two weeks, which are going to be very busy. I did however go to the Australian bar & restaurant, the Down Under, several times after my evening shifts. I don't know when I'll get a chance to take new photos or spend a decent amount of time checking out the latest posts of my fellow bloggers, but I do promise that I will both take and upload new photographs as well as read your posts and write comments before the month is over. 

Talk to you soon.


- Dom

5 comments:

Travel France Online said...

Very unique architecture, almost from a different era, as if time had stopped ages ago!

joo said...

New Orleans is a place I've always wanted to visit and which has always fascinated me. Maybe one day!
Love the photos:)

Dom said...

The houses in the old-fashioned areas of New Orleans sure look as if time had stopped a hundred years ago... especially those shotgun houses.

I'm glad both of you like the photos. :-)

Anonymous said...

i've heard the french quarter in new orleans lost its alternative character. anyway, i don't know if it's true. unfortunatly i've never been to the US.

Dom said...

That's what I've heard as well... but when I was there, I enjoyed the place. Only the locals would be able to tell if their city lost its character... but then again, all locals in all of the cities in all of the world are complaining about changes.