01 June 2010

What Difference Does It Make

Yak To The Future - "Yak"? What the fuck? Allright, enough with the puns and wordplays, or as my former English teacher Mrs. Avenell would've said (or rather, screamed): "CUT IT OUT!", leading even my rugby playin' buddy Maxwell to duck his head instinctively.

Anyway, Yak To The Future is the name of one of the teams taking part in this year's Mongol Rally; the route leads from my old hometown London all the way to Ulaanbaatar, which happens to be the capital of Mongolia. What route? It's up to you which one you pick. Everybody can take part, if they don't end up on an endless waiting list and unless they fail to rack up at least one thousand bucks which are gonna be donated to charity. So you're taking part in a huge adventure and raising money for a good cause.

I found out about the Mongol Rally too late to participate this year, so I'm gonna sign up for 2011. The reason why I'm putting up a link to the website of these six guys is that they'd probably be the kind of guys I'd want to ride with if I hadn't already chosen my favourite co-driver who's equally adventurous as yours truly, and so happens to be the only person I know that this applies to.

They've collected a lot of money already but I figured, the more the better. If they're just a tad more responsible than me old lad Patty, they shall arrive at this faraway destination instead of getting busted for driving under the influence after a visit to the pub.
  
"Where we're going, we don't need roads..."

Of course I'll keep you updated and let you know if (and when) I've progressed beyond the waiting list (sometime around September, I think) and how everything will be coming along. After my American road trip last year, this summer's tour of Scandinavia will be another chance to put my endurance to the test.

Now before I get back to writing that essay for uni, let me post an archive shot... it's from last year and I came across it today.




Have a great week.

- Dom

7 comments:

Brooke said...

ha, this made me grin enormously: "Where we're going, we don't need roads..."

yayy for Doc!

i think i've spent the last hour just exploring around on the mongol rally's site and i'm falling in love but i have so many questions about it? i think following the teams is going to be something i cling to this summer <3

donnie said...

these are the darkest shadows ever - one big sunny day

Dom said...

Brooke:

To be honest, I had to look it up to make sure I got the quote right :-)

Questions? Such as...? Write me on Facebook, or else this might get too big for this tiny comment box.

Donnie: Thanks... glad you like it.

Anonymous said...

das foto ist wunderschön ...

ich hoffe, mein sohn entwickelt nicht solche ambitionen ... ich wäre schlaflos ... :-)

Dom said...

Danke sehr, Manfred!

Mach dir da nicht zu viele Sorgen - das Leben ist gefährlich, egal wo man sich befindet. Man kann auch in der eigenen Stadt von einem betrunkenen Idioten überfahren werden oder zu Hause die Treppe runterstürzen. Überall lauert das Risiko. Also kann man auch gleich eines in Kauf nehmen, bei dem man mit atemberaubenden Landschaften belohnt wird und Geschichten, die man noch seinen Enkeln erzählen kann. :-)
Wie alt ist dein Sohn?

Anonymous said...

15 ... im Oktober 16 ...

Dom said...

Dann hast du ja noch ein bißchen Zeit, bis er solche Dinge unternehmen kann :-) Obwohl, Führerschein mit 17...