03 April 2012

Electrical Storm



The sea it swells like a sore head
And the night it is aching
Two lovers lie with no sheets on their bed
And the day it is breaking

On rainy days, we'd go swimming out
On rainy days, swimming in the sound
On rainy days, we'd go swimming out

Let's see colours that have never been seen
Let's go places no one else has been

(U2 - Electrical Storm)




The Netherlands. 
September 2009.




The new semester has begun, and I'm still working 20 hours a week, which - along with the fact that I still need to write four essays - means that I'll be very busy for the next few weeks. I doubt that I'll have enough time to take long exposures. It's been raining and snowing for the last few days, so I don't even want to go out and take pictures anyway. 

I might post a few more pictures from my archives, and I might as well publish a post about cocktails. Of course, I won't be talking about the well-known ones (e.g. my all-time favourite highball Cuba Libre), but I will be talking about some cocktails that you may not have heard about before.
I've been mixing cocktails for friends and myself for years, but before I started working as a barista, I never thought about doing it for a living... In the past, I haven't always been the most efficient worker... Working at the coffee shop, however, has made me realise how fast I'm able to work... I wouldn't have thought that I'm able to make a Latte Macchiato, two Cappuccini, and a Vanilla Latte, all within a minute.
I spend too much money on nightlife and I like sleeping long, so I might as well work at night.
Last but not least, I noticed that I haven't posted about architecture and interior design for a few months. I've been interested in renovating houses and interior design ever since I first watched a programme on British television - I don't remember what it was called, the only thing I do remember is that one of the presenters was called Dominic, too. Our neighbour in Richmond used to be an estate agent and the fact that he was able to afford such a huge house made quite an impression on me as well. Anyway, there's this blog called Design To Inspire which has been a huge source of inspiration, and I might share some of the posts on that blog.
I've got Friday off so that's when I'll check out your blog posts.

Have a nice week!

- Dom

4 comments:

Jenny Woolf said...

Oh U2 are brilliant. Can't believe you can make all those things in under a minute. Wow!
I wonder which programme you meant. The one I like to watch is Grand Designs. They have pretty inspiring places on that. I fantasise about building my own house etc. but in reality I can't even get around to putting in a new shower. :)

Travel France Online said...

Nice shots from the archives!

Dom said...

Jenny:
Yes, U2 are brilliant, but Van Morrison is my favourite Irish artist.
I can only make those things in under a minute if the team works together; the espresso shots need to be ready, and I need hot milk and perfect milk froth. I can take care of all those things as long as there are no more than a few customers standing in line, but during lunch break and on the weekend, someone needs to assist the barista.
I did some research and found out the presenter's name is Domini Littlewood, the other one was the late Kristian Digby. It's been six or seven years since I last watched that programme, but I guess it must've been "To Buy Or Not To Buy", which aired on BBC One.

DeeBee: Thank you!

Unknown said...

These are some great shots! I especially like the windmill and its reflection. Awesome!