14 October 2009

No Surrender



Asbury Park, New Jersey. June 2009.



Hello there, everyone! 

It's been a few days since my last blog post. Today was the third day at uni and me and two fellow students successfully swapped our major and minor - not without a lot of convincing and substantial amount of trouble though! All three of us had Classic Archaeology as major, and Prehistoric and Protohistoric Archaeology (P.a.P.A.) as minor. Upon learning that the latter is supposed to be much more of an applied science than Classic Archaeology, which is all about the art and architecture of ancient Greece and the Roman empire, we decided to respond to this issue quickly. 

If you got P.a.P.A. as a major, you can visit lectures about the Celts and the Germanic and Nordic tribes, in addition, you're going to work in the field, and upon graduating with a Bachelor of Arts, you've got lots of different options to choose from, no matter if you want to continue studying until you get a master degree and later a doctor degree which would allow you to lead archaeological excavatios, or if you want to find out more about other fields of science, such as Forensic Archaeology or Forensic Anthropology. At the moment, I'm interested in all those possible careers, and I'll definitely continue studying in one way or another and decide what I'm gonna do.

Apart from this trouble that we had there, everything is great. There are some really nice people among my fellow students and even though it's gonna involve a lot of hard work, I'm sure this whole university thing will be one hell of a cool time. 

Have a great week everyone!

- Dom

2 comments:

Rachel said...

So jealous that you're going to school for archaeology. I think Forensic would be my field.

One day I want to go on one of those month long digs oversees that anyone can do. It's like $1500or something, but it would be well worth it!

Dom said...

Yeah, it's a really interesting topic...

As part of my studies, I'm required to get actual working experience anyways; that means I'll be able to work on a dig without having to pay (if it's somewhat close to where I live). There's a lot of remains from Germanic settlements around here, and the tribes who came before them.