10 April 2011

Last Ramble


1st picture taken east of Essex, CA.
2nd & 3rd picture taken east
of Twentynine Palms, CA.
June 2009.


I have always been the travellin' kind
A million miles behind me now

I kept on followin' that thin white line
But now I want to turn around

I only lived to hear that highway sound

(Steve Earle - Steve's Last Ramble)



The essence of the road trip is the knowledge that you're only passing through a place that has been there long before you came, and will still be there long after you're gone... It is names on a map coming to life in front of your eyes... It is making small talk with strangers you meet at petrol stations in the desert... It is walking through the rooms of houses that were abandoned long ago.... It is taking pictures of the skeleton frames of burned out Chevrolets silhouetted against the evening sky... It is singing along to Tom Waits' "Ol' 55" while driving into the sunset.
It is a journey that is never finished, for even if you may come back home and stay there for some time, you're itching to get back onto the road again.


We now have a time frame for the road trip around France and parts of Belgium and Germany. We'll meet in Hamburg and take off on the 3rd of September and be back on the 14th or 15th of September. Timing depended on my best friend, because he'll be graduating from university this summer. I'm going to plan my archaeological assignments around that trip (probably working six or seven weeks before and three or four weeks after the trip), and my friend from university who'll be joining us left it up to me to decide when to go, because I'm the only one of us who's got a car. His girlfriend wanted to come along, too, but instead she has to do two months of practical training.


Have a nice day.


- Dom

6 comments:

T. Becque said...

The road trip sounds sublime. Anytime when you can get out and photograph and feel the place - that's the best. Nice little series of shots here.

design elements said...

these images are somehow unique...

Dom said...

Thanks very much, both of you!

Brooke said...

what a beautiful entry! i enjoyed the first paragraph very very much :')! and the shadow picture if my favorite out of the 3..!

Dom said...

Thank you so much Brooke! Took me a while to write this. Cheers! :-)

Anonymous said...

besonders das letzte Foto hat es mir angetan ... !!!