15 August 2010

City Of Lights


1st picture: 60 seconds, F/14, ISO 320; 2nd picture: 30 seconds, F/14, ISO 4000; 3rd picture: 35 seconds, F/10, ISO 6400. The blue lights in the last picture are from some disco in another town. All pictures taken in and around Lüneburg, Germany. August 2010. 




Title of this blog post taken from a song by Runrig, a Scottish folk/rock band who's been active since 1973. I've been to their 30th anniversary concert at Stirling Castle, Scotland, in August 2003. Gonna see them again at the Barrowland Ballroom in Glasgow this December. I got tickets for the show, which I gotta pick up at the box office half an hour before the gig because they don't post outside of the UK. Apart from the tickets, I have nothing else booked so far. I guess I'll be flying from Hamburg to Edinburgh via Amsterdam because that seems to be the cheapest route available. Then I'll get to Glasgow via National Rail. I love Edinburgh more than Glasgow so I'll spend only the night of the concert there, then get back to Edinburgh and check out the pubs, go shopping for a kilt or a few more tartan scarves to  add to my collection, and do some more tourist stuff. I'll be in Scotland for a couple days but I reckon I won't rent a car. Maybe for one day to visit Loch Lomond, the famous lake I've been to on every one of my previous holidays in this beautiful country.

The fourth week of digging is over. We only worked four days though because both the boss and the supervisor had to attend some meeting. I signed up for another week, after which I'll take a week off to finish writing another essay and go on a little trip somewhere. Not sure where, I'm gonna decide between Rügen - one of Germany's most beautiful islands - and southern Sweden. The week after my week off I'll continue working at the excavation, and except for one week I'll work throughout all of September and the first half of October. Summer holidays are supposed to be a time when you hang out in the garden and read a good book, but working out there in the field - digging up stuff that no human before me has touched in the past nine or ten centuries, drawing maps of the site, seeing the progress you've made every day - all of that is so awesome that I wouldn't want to waste my time doing something else.  I've been interested in archaeology since I was a kid (I got this book about archaeological sites in Britain), and what I'm doing now isn't falling short of what I imagined it would be like. It's great that there's something else I'm good at other than photography, so once I've graduated I might work as either an archaeologist or a photographer or both of them.

Hope you have a nice weekend...


- Dom

5 comments:

Brooke said...

I'm glad you feel such a great satisfaction with archeology :) I just hope your photos won't stop because I love seeing them..!

I have to say I love the stillness of the first photo and the "disco" lights from the third :). At first, I thought an alien ship was descending onto Earth.

Anonymous said...

...zu sich selbst finden ...

!!!
(auch für die fotos ... )

Dom said...

Thanks both of you...

Brooke, no, they won't ever stop coming, but now they'll be even better because I don't need to hurry about anything.

rockmetoharmony said...

Oh my, really!? Now I look forward to christmas! :D
And no, I haven't seen that website before... Oh my, oh my. It's a goldmine! This made my day, thank you!
Hope you're having a great day aswell :)

Dom said...

Hahah, indeed it is! One of the best blogs ever... I usually spend an hour every weekend looking through all the pictures, reading the texts and watching the video clips...
Thanks, have a great day too :-)